To be a franchise player in Major League Baseball, you have to show up for work every day ready to perform at the highest level. Tremendous talent has to be backed by an excellent mental approach, making the grind-out days just as big as the walk-on-water highlight reel performances. with the satellite TV MLB Extra Innings package, you can follow the franchise players from coast to coast. Here are 5 to watch.
1. Hanley Ramirez. Once the jewel of the Red Sox farm system, Ramirez went to the Marlins in the Josh Beckett trade and has been a stud ever since. Mashing from wire to wire, playing a sterling shortstop and having a lot of fun, he is the essence of exciting baseball. of course, with Josh Johnson on the mound and other young sluggers in tow, it’s not easy to be the franchise in Florida. Hanley’s that good: watch him in HD all season with the MLB Extra Innings Package.
2. Joe Mauer. Batting titles, MVP Awards and a big contract from the notoriously stingy Twins? There seems to be nothing Joe Mauer can’t do, and as a Minnesota native, there as nothing that would stop Twins management from locking up their franchise player. Almost every night is a highlight reel, as Mauer is the best thing going in the American League. Watch him light up another opponent on the FSN North HD network.
3. Evan Longoria. Manning the hot corner in Tampa Bay was not such a plush job in the past. however, with the mix of young guns and big boppers in Tampa’s 2010 lineup, Longoria is more than just a big anchor – he could be the MVP in waiting. Definitely the franchise in Tampa, he’s the one the small-market team refused to leave to the dangers of free agency. with Carl Crawford potentially on the move after the 2010 season, it could be the year for the Rays to make their move. Watch Evan lead the charge on satellite TV.
4. Ryan Howard. the big man had a poor showing in the 2009 World Series, but the Phillies rewarded their franchise slugger with another $125 million. Did they overpay? Will Albert Pujols ask for $35 million now? $50 million? all St. Louis budget issues aside, the Phillies have to be pleased at the improved defense from Howard and his ever-increasing power to all fields. Watch him make Citizen’s Bank Park look even smaller with broadcasts on the Comcast HD network.
5. Tim Lincecum. the Freak can do it all on the mound, and showed he can handle a bat as well, posting 3 RBI in one game. however, the Giants are happy to let their franchise player do his talking from the hill alone, which Lincecum seems to do every time around. If the Giants would only cooperate offensively, Lincecum would clock twenty wins every season he is healthy. two straight Cy Young Awards seem to make the case closed for discussions regarding the Freak’s talents.